Pages

May 15, 2013

Trinket Boxes & Rock Cakes

Our families are not perfect
The reality of our families
Is that we are not perfect. 
But we still celebrate the gift of life, 
And share sweet love between husband and wife.. Robyn

What do mothers pass on

What is it that mothers 
hope to pass on to the next generation?
A sense of duty,
 Healthy respect,
And not to neglect one’s self, 
One's sisters, one's brothers or any others. 
Robyn

Memoirs from my mother  Brenda talks about her trinket boxes 
After the war 
Dad returned home from the war in Papua New Guinea with three wooden trinket boxes which the Air force men with woodwork talent had made in their spare time. The three trinket boxes sat on our dressing table in our bedroom with my jewellery inside. There was one bigger box in the centre and two smaller trinket boxes sitting on either side. The boxes were lined with soft material, with palm trees painted on top. Dad also brought home a mother-of-pearl necklace - one big star was attached to a chain; ear-rings made of mother-of-pearl; and a silver brooch which was the shape of an old fashioned sailing ship; . The ear-rings had little screws on them - we did not have pierced ears in those days. 
Brenda's Scrap Book
Rock Cakes and Cornflake Cookies from Brenda's 1960s scrap book can tempt our taste buds!
Rock Cakes have to be one of my favourite biscuits - kind of a biscuit, kind of a cake! 


I am happy that my children would sometimes look at my jewellery, just like I used to look at my Mum's in her 3 wooden trinket boxes.  

from Robyn

painting of robin by Brenda