Pages

May 17, 2013

The Ice Man & Famous Pumpkin Scones

The generosity of mothers 
The generosity
Of a mother's heart
Helps to make her house
A home. Robyn
Caring for the traveller
One day there was a knock on the front door of our home, when we lived on the main road entering South Australia's picturesque town of Tanunda. A middle aged 'carer' taking an elderly lady out for a drive was looking for an ice-cream shop as the elderly lady had requested an icecream in a cone. So, I invited them both in for a cuppa and an ice-cream. 
I hope that "safety issues" do not dampen or even kill our Ausie hospitality and generosity.  
Robyn
Memoirs from my mother  Brenda talks about the Ice Man
While I owned an electric sewing machine, I did not own an electric fridge when I was a mother of three small children in the 1950s. The Ice Man drove down the streets of Silkstone in Ipswich, bringing big blocks of ice to our doorsteps, carrying these with large tongs. The ice would go into the icechest where I kept my milk, butter, milk and meat. The Ice Man came twice a week, but sometimes on a hot day, the ice would all melt away. 
Brenda's Scrap Book
Today's pumpkin scone recipe  from my mum's 1960s scrap book is quite a famous one! I don't know how many years Lady Florence Bjelke-Petersen cooked her scones for passers by, always welcome to call in at their peanut farm in Kingaroy, Queensland. She must have just loved to meet new people, being very generous in her hospitality. 
Lady Flo with her famous scones
Lady Florence Bjelke-Petersen, wife of Queensland's very long-standing premier

I have often thought of Joe Bjelke-Petersen's wife in relation to her generosity to passing motorists. She had a genuine "country spirit" of hospitality, something to be kept alive in our wonderful country! 

from Robyn

painting of robin by Brenda