Pages

May 16, 2013

The CWA and Bailey's Irish Whisky

Young mothers
Young women make wonderful mothers
with their un-ending energy.
I often marvel at them!Robyn  
Living in a home that you love
Our home is most definitely
one of the humble homes in this fine fine city. 
But hubby and I, and each of our children,
Grandchildren too,
Just love it!

The home's walls wrap themselves around us
to welcome us within its confines
each time we walk through its door. 
Robyn                       

Memoirs from my mother  Brenda talks about the CWA

The first three children were attending the state school in Silkstone.   Mrs Sullivan, whose house was on the way to school,  was their after-school piano teacher. 


Mrs Sullivan lost her pianist for the CWA - the Country Women's Association - and she asked me if I'd play, and I said "No," but she talked me into it!  Pam was only tiny then - three years old -  so I said, "I've got Pam," but she said that would be alright. 


Pam was only tiny then
Mrs Chapman was in the choir, and when I played, she would take Pam to sit with her up on the stage with the choir. Each concert, she would bring Pam a little basket of sweets, and she was as good as gold up with the choir on the stage. 

We used to sing in halls and country churches, sometimes for Ladies Fellowships. I was so nervous - I was dreadfully nervous - because I wasn't a very good pianist. I used to practice the pieces quite a lot.  There must have been a great shortage of pianists.  I always felt sorry for the alto singers in the choir, because I know I played wrong notes! But they kept me on - they didn't let me go. 

The thing was, when you go to all these places, the piano stools are all different, with some of them high, and I've got short legs. And they were pretty old pianos, some of them. 

I don't know how I did it! 

Brenda's Scrap Book
Among these cordial recipes is the recipe for Bailey's Irish Whisky. I hope to make some next Christmas. MMmmm! 
The Tia Maria sounds pretty good too! 


I am happy to say that I don't mind eating chocos now. 
Good job, because in our new home has a very healthy choco vine.

from Robyn

painting of robin by Brenda