Pages

May 6, 2013

Friendships & Salads

Mothers with unfulfilled dreams
Mothers with unfulfilled dreams
Sometimes find.
Their hopes and desires
Being fulfilled
Not in their own lives,
But in the lives of their children.
Robyn


IN PRAISE OF DAUGHTERS
Often mothers are praised for their loving sacrifice.
But what about the daughters?

Day by day, as I work in a nursing home,
I see many "daughters".
These are the nurses and carers,
Loving the "oldies" with a touch,
                        a kind word,
                    a service,
                  a smile.

These "daughters" whom I work alongside
Show genuine care and love in their workplace.
I think that those age-ing men and women in the nursing home
Are very lucky to have so many "daughters"!  
Robyn

Memoirs from my mother  Brenda talks about her friends
Brenda with her two brothers at Maffra 
When I was growing up, my brothers, Wally and Albert,  were my friends, even though they were very naughty sometimes. 


Young friends 





Joyce was a wonderful bridesmaid
on Brenda's wedding day





Then there were my girlfriends. Joyce was my very special friend. We both worked in the same office. She got married during the war, but sadly, her fiance was killed. Joyce was my one bridesmaid when I got married. Joyce looked after her mother who was an invalid, and she also went to work. Then after her sister got hit at a dance by some soldiers who were fighting, she too became an invalid, not able to sit properly, sitting hunched up with her head down, and Joyce had to look after her as well. 


Brenda with her best friend, Joyce
Joyce met someone whom she married when she was about 40, but he had a heart attack 3 days after the marriage. She had a really really hard life with terrible blows, but she also had a good life. She was a good Christian. Her mother and sister were lucky that they had her to look after them. Joyce never had any children. 

I'm very fortunate with my wonderful, wonderful family. I can count my blessings, I really can. Many people have a great life and others have a tough time. It is just the way it goes, I suppose.  
Brenda's Scrap Book




Healthy salads are on the menu today from Brenda's 1960s scrap book. 


















Like my Mum, I too am very grateful for the blessings that have come my way in my life. I hope that in response, I will be a blessing to others.  

from Robyn
painting of robin by Brenda