Pages

May 20, 2013

The Last Baby is Born & Sauces

Mothers lift their spirits
Somehow mothers
Lift their spirits
To soldier on
Giving 'Mother Love',
Tender, yet strong. 
Robyn

Recollections of my mother
What is it that I most recall?
Was it her smile, her touch,
The way she stood tall?
Her honesty, perception,
Kindness without exception?
No, it was her vege soup
Made winter, spring and fall,
Nutritious homemade healthy soup
Is what I most recall.
Robyn
Memoirs from my mother  Brenda has her fifth baby
My fifth baby loved to climb to heights
I remember when I was pregnant in Salisbury North, expecting my fifth baby. We lived in an Airforce fibro house with no air-conditioner and no fans. In the afternoons, I would lie down and Sandra and Denise looked after me so well, bringing cold flannels to put on my head. It was a very hot summer.  Janet was born in April.   One afternoon, Geoff came home from school and put his hand in the basinette to touch the very tiny baby. She grabbed his finger and he was so excited by that - he was going on a treat!


After 6 months in the hot house, the Airforce moved us to a brick house at Elizabeth West where Janet learned to climb the fence and the outside poles. One day I moved the metal bin which Janet would climb up before kneeling on the galvanized iron fence so that she could talk to the next-door neighbour. There were hundreds of baby redback spiders under the bin - good job I found them before they found Janet.

Brenda's Scrap Book





Today's recipes from 
my mum's 1960s scrap book is a selection of sauces. 


















What a delight it is to enjoy a tiny baby, no matter what one's age. 

from Robyn

painting of robin by Brenda