Pages

May 8, 2013

A First Baby & Apple Crumble

Mothers, strong and steadfast
Mothers -
Strong and steadfast
Like sturdy trees
Yet kind and gentle
As a whispering breeze.
Robyn


Our home
It's most definitely one of the humble homes
In this fine city,
Yet hubby and I, and each of our children,
Grand-children too,
Just love it!

The home's walls wrap themselves around us
each time we enter,
and the home itself welcomes us
within its confines.  
           Robyn            
                           
Memoirs from my mother  Brenda talks about her first baby 
I was put into hospital for a short time before Sandra was born. That was a scary time for me because I was so immature and I had nobody to talk to. Nana was in Queensland and I was in Sydney. In those days, nobody told you anything or taught you anything - you didn't go to any classes. You were just ignorant! It is much different today. 

Reg was in the airforce and he got posted to just outside Sydney. After we got married, we lived with his Uncle Charlie, but then the posting came and Dad (Reg) packed me up and off we went to Sydney. I was pregnant by then.  

Dad had a mate who had a two-terrace house in a poorer area of Sydney, and we rented a room from him. It was just an upstairs room, that's all - but it did have a balcony! There was a stove in the corner and a sink. A bathroom was down the corridor and you had to share that. 

We found a doctor around the corner - he was the doctor who put me into the Paddington Hospital before my baby was born, but I didn't know why he put me in hospital! When Sandra was born, we had to take the big pram upstairs and downstairs each day. I went to pay the doctor's bill one day, but he didn't charge me because it was a poor district. 
Mother, Father and a beautiful baby 
Brenda's Scrap Book
Apple Crumble is today's recipe from my mother's 1960s scrap book - with a couple of other recipes in there for good measure! 

Today's educated mums can certainly lucky to have so much information and help available for them 

from Robyn
painting of robin by Brenda