Pages

May 7, 2013

The Wedding Dress and Egg Yolk Rock Buns

Mothers looking after each other 
Sometimes things go sadly wrong.
In times that are hard,
How can mothers
Stay
Stong?
Mothers can "mother" each other.
Robyn

What are the homely joys of my everyday life?
These are my joys.....
Waking to the sound of bird-song in the air,
Opening the coffee jar and making a morning cup of real coffee,
Boiling an egg for breakfast,
Walking in the garden,
Sharing meal-times with my hubby,
Visiting family and them visiting us,
Holding a camera in my hand and framing a nature shot,
Working in a nursing home,
Talking to friends and family - or anyone, 
Waking, Working, Walking, Talking - these are my joys.
And I like listening too,
because sometimes I can hear God talking to me.  
                           
Memoirs from my mother  Brenda talks about her wedding dress
The Wedding Day 

I was married during the war when we were issued with clothing coupons. You couldn't buy material!
I had to buy a second-hand wedding dress, but it really looked quite nice! 
Years later it became a dressing-up dress for the kids, but before that, I had cut it down into a strapless evening gown and I wore it to a ball in Woomera.  


As a child, I (Robyn) used to love to touch  my mother's wedding dress,
feeling the raised silver spots all over the material.
After it had been cut down to make a ball gown some years after her wedding,
it went into the "dress-ups" for us kids.  
Brenda's Scrap Book
Egg Yolk Rock Buns is today's recipe from my mother's 1960s scrap book. My mum probably had all manner of uses for the left over egg whites, like making meringues.  Sometimes she thickened the juice from a tin of fruit using custard powder (bringing the juice to the boil and stirring in a paste of custard powder/water to thicken the juice), poured this into a cooked pastry flan, spread the meringue on top and popped it in the oven for the meringue to brown. Yum!

May we each have "special things" that we love to do 

from Robyn
painting of robin by Brenda