Pages

May 2, 2013

Peter the Cat & Apple Cider Vinegar

No mother is perfect
No mother is ever perfect,
But the love which they give
Is perfection indeed! Robyn
The home

The home has a long history
Of being the foundation of our society:
The place where children
Use their imagination
Develop their skills
Test their understandings
Learn about nature
Experience sibling rivalry
Develop friendships
-      with all of this done in the embrace of a mother’s love.
Robyn

Memoirs from my mother  Brenda talks about Peter, her cat 
He was a great big grey Persian cat. He was fluffy - very, very fluffy with extra long hair. Persian cats have longer hair than other cats. He probably was a pedigree, but we just thought of him as "Peter-Our-Cat". But sadly he went wild. 


Brenda, holding "Peter-Our-Cat". 
We were living in Mafra in a house right up on the hill near the water tower. Peter, our cat, used to disappear at night, and we heard rumours that he was running wild and killing lambs. We didn't like to believe it, but he did disappear for nights at end. Then one day, Pop told us that he had died, but we think that Pop killed him. Other cats in the area were also going wild, so Peter wasn't the only one. I was very sad when I lost my cat. I was specially fond of him. I suppose he was a family cat, but I thought of him as mine. It just goes to show that even a well-fed cat at home can go ferrel. Ferrel cats kill the birds, poor little birds!

Strangely though, I don't like cats now. I think that put me off, the fact that Peter-Our-Cat went ferrel. Today I won't stop to pat a cat, But I would as a child. Different story now! 

Brenda's Scrap Book
Apple Cider Vinegar  is today's entry from my mum's 1960s scrap book.



My mum still keeps a bottle of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar - with the 'mother earth'  -
she would often say to me how important it was to buy vinegar with the 'mother earth' -.

 Reports of health benefits of apple cider vinegar are amazing, and I do use it regularly, mostly in salad dressings and in cooking - BUT I think it wise to read other opinons as well.
e.g. "There is little scientific study of the safety of apple cider vinegar. The acidity of undiluted apple cider vinegar may destroy tooth enamel when sipped orally. Use cautiously in patients with low potassium levels or taking potassium-lowering medications. Use cautiously in patients with diabetes since apple cider vinegar may contain chromium, which may affect insulin levels. Use cautiously in patients with osteoporosis, based on one case report. Avoid sipping or drinking undiluted apple cider vinegar." http://www.motherearthnaturalfoods.com/ns/DisplayMonograph.asp?StoreID=48B9C5F1B77349E9BA7B8C6351E0C82B&DocID=bottomline-applecidervinegar


Ferrel cats have been devastating to Australia's natural fauna - so, thanks go to those people who do not allow their domestic cats to go ferrel.  

from Robyn

painting of robin by Brenda