Pages

June 29, 2013

THE SIXTH MONTH COMES TO A CLOSE

That's not my home!
  No, that's not my home!
Throughout Australia, one often comes across small churches from pioneer days
which have now been converted into delightful homes or art galleries. 

And that is not my home either! Although in Australia these days, there are people living  in their car, especially in mining towns where rent has become very expensive

Yes! That's our home....
well, at least it is where we sleep when travelling across our beautiful land, cameras in hand. 
Conversing Conversing-  with ongoing improvement
For myself, I hope that my ability to converse is being enhanced year by year. I remember that some years ago, my hubby said to me, “You know, you don’t look at people when you talk to them.”  I have remembered his words. Then I went through a few years where I know I was very good at interrupting, because ”I” had things to say! I certainly hope that I am now not so uncaring of others. 

Hence, over the past month, I have written some of my thoughts regarding conversing, which is an important element affecting our relationships. And our relationships are worth working on, unless of course, they are relationships that one would benefit by walking away from!

And here is a “précis of June’s Conversation Blog”.  Communication is about:

*appreciating both small and big talk;
*having an attitude able to “give” before needing to “receive”;
*having an awareness of the other person and their significance;
*developing a listening ear;
*being kind, compassionate and confident;
*responding to others rather than reacting to them;
*caring about others’ emotions;
*being aware of how one presents themselves;  
*acknowledging one’s own inner convictions; 
*developing an ability for accurate recall of both people and situations;
*respecting and acknowledging those who live closest to us - and not just those to whom we are obliged to show respect and acknowledgment;
*not interrupting, thus allowing others the necessary time to verbally respond. (Some of us are slower than others);
*valuing questions – and of course, listening to the answers;
*taking advantage of the right time and the right place;
*taking time to converse with one-self - looking into one’s own heart and soul. Such times can prioritise; sort out one’s world view and beliefs; and also can be advantageous for thinking through strategies for addressing situations and for making assessment of strategies that have been used;
*valuing silence. Silence can say a multitude, especially when combined with body language such as a meaningful look into someone’s eyes to give a message of care and love.


Conversing is about valuing another,
and making them feel significant, even if you are only a little chick.
Photo taken at Warwick, England
Happy Conversing to all of you blog readers! 
May we all be improving our conversational and relational skills.

Guest of the month - Vivienne
Robyn tells me that I am the best “conversationalist” she knows, because I listen to others and encourage them. BUT…. yesterday I was with friends, and they told me that I “butt in”!  Right when they are telling their story, and aren't finished.  So, none of us is perfect!

I really do love people, and I think the secret is to love others. Once I heard on an Oprah show that everyone has a story to tell, and that is true – everyone does have a story, and they want to share their heart. If someone shares their heart with you, then it is a privilege.
When I was young, my mum would say, “For goodness sake, don’t tell anyone else our business!” but I didn’t know what our business was anyway. I remember when I did the daily walk home from high school – two miles or so -  I would always smile at everyone I saw, and I would say, “Hi!”. I still do that when I walk down the  street, and I get many smiles back.
About 30 years ago, my husband and I attended our first church camp. A lady from Canada said that she had a “word from the Lord” for us. She said that many people would flock into our home, and they would pick of the Fruit of the Spirit.  We didn’t even know what the Fruit of the Spirit was, so we looked it up. Sometimes when it is winter, we get pruned, and we don’t have very much production of fruit. But it isn’t always winter! Over the years we have had many visitors in our home, and I still love to have visitors and listen to their stories.  

Thank you to all of you blog readers from many countries,

Russia, Australia, United States, Germany, South Korea, Netherlands, Colombia, United Kingdom, Morocco, Philippines, Ukraine, Canada and India
for taking the time to read this month's blog. 
I hope that each one of us will be a blessing 
to our families, friends and communities.

from Robyn

painting of robin by Brenda