Pages

June 4, 2013

Conversing with a care for others

That's not my home!


  No, that's not my home! 

This early settler's cottage is in south-east Queensland.  




Conversing
This ewe caring for her lambs lives near Victor Harbor, South Australia


Conversing Am I capable of showing genuine care in my verbal encounters?
With a combination of small talk and bigger talk, and with remembering that this show is not just about me, I am working on my willingness to “give” in my relationships, along with working on a genuine care about the other person. To be realistic, I will concentrate on perhaps only one of my relationships. I might be in for a big surprise, to find that relationship developing beyond my wildest dreams as I develop my willingness to “give”.

A couple of years ago, I met a headmistress of a country school where there were many children with very demanding behaviours. She was the only person I have ever met for a brief few minutes, who left me with an indelible memory – a memory of someone who makes you feel significant even though you have only just met them. She was the sort of person, whom when she went on her way, you turned your head to follow her, because you knew that there was something special about her. I discovered from someone who knew this headmistress, that she had cried every night for a whole year after each difficult day of leading a primary school in her new posting in an Australian country town. After that first year of grief, her task became easier. She not only had stickability, but she cared about the pupils in her care. In her conversing with me as we stood outside a coffee shop, she moved very quickly  from the small talk to a verbal interaction, showing genuine interest in “little me”.  I think I will always remember that lady and our very brief encounter. How was it that she made me feel significant in such a short time?

How special it would be for us to learn the skill of making others feel significant.   

from Robyn

painting of robin by Brenda