Pages

June 5, 2013

Conversing with awareness

That's not my home!


No, that's not my home! 

This old German stone cottage stands in South Australia's picturesque Barossa Valley. 

Conversing 


Conversing – Am I able to develop a greater awareness of that other person?
The aspects of being able to engage in both small talk and more meaningful bigger talk, and the aspect of being genuinely interested in the other person are now on my “conversation agenda”. 

Do I really care about developing at least one of my current relationships? Yes, I do.  However, I have to admit that my motive is probably selfish e.g. if I learn to relate better with that particular person, my life will be both happier and easier.  Oh blow, that means that I have lost the plot, because  my focus on self and my own ego, mean that my thought of the other person came second.  So, I have to take myself back to basics of “being-aware-of-that-other-person”.  So, with that in mind, today I will pause a little longer, and truly look at that person with whom I am engaging in a conversation, so that I develop a greater awareness of them and who they are in their uniqueness. I will pause and truly see them through both my eyes and my heart. And then, with both small talk and  bigger talk, and with the willingness to “give”, I hope that I will be able to make that other person feel significant. 

May we develop a genuine interest in those people in our lives.

from Robyn
painting of robin by Brenda