Pages

June 21, 2013

Conversing without interrupting

That's not my home!

  No, that's not my home! 
This home, tucked behind a peppercorn tree, is in Leyburn, Queensland

Conversing
Conversing- allowing the other person to talk without interrupting  
It is not polite to interrupt while the other person is speaking or eating!
I feel privileged to spend time each week at a nursing home with elderly clients who love to talk about their lives.  Because these elderly folk often take time gathering their thoughts, I get plenty of practice at allowing them time to process their thoughts. Plus I get plenty of practice at listening, while encouraging them to continue as they tell their stories with me genuinely interested, and showing a quiet respect without disengaging them by interrupting. Such times have most definitely helped to develop relationships along with a sense of significance for these elderly folk.  


May we be polite in our conversing

from Robyn

painting of robin by Brenda