Pages

June 24, 2013

Conversing - asking questions

That's not my home! 
                            No, that's not my home! 

Some years ago, one would see many caravans on the roads. 
In Australia, the aged pensioners exploring the country are known as "Grey Nomads". 
The declining number of caravans is perhaps due to the cost of petrol and caravan sites.  

ConversingConversing – the value of questions
Asking questions and then taking the time to listen attentively to responses, giving the speaker time to respond without interrupting them, most definitely improves communication and even strengthens a relationship. Strangely,  I don’t meet many people who ask questions of others. Often someone will ask, “How are you?”, but then not pause to really listen to the response.   I think that people often don’t ask questions of others because they are busy with their own agenda. Hence, listening to others and being inspired by others or learning from others isn’t on their immediate agenda. 

School children are taught to ask questions, but sadly, after we leave the classroom, I think that many of us forget the benefits that come our way from asking inquiring questions and listening to others’ responses. 

Yesterday I met up with a long-time friend whom I do not see very often. I was impressed by both her ability to ask questions and her interest in my answers. 
I hope that I was as polite towards her as she was towards me. 

from Robyn

painting of robin by Brenda