Pages

January 31, 2013

THE FIRST MONTH COMES TO A CLOSE

A Word for the Day 
I asked my friend Joan to be the blog's "Guest of the month". And this is her word for us:

Have you talked to your plants today?

Well, to answer the question straight out - 
I say "yes" with no hesitation.  

As talking to plants is a rather telepathic activity, 
I can talk without geography getting in the way.  
I feel that since Robyn and I are soulmates 
(and I hope that she feels that way too) 
our plants also share that connection. 
I find solace through nature and plants and through reading the Houseandgardenplus Blog to see what tidbits Robyn has added. I also get to admire the wonderful photos that she includes.  

I winter in Arizona where I relish each and every cactus - particularly the huge Saguaros that stand stately against the horizon.

They are such sentinals, often standing at attention,
lonely but content as they outstretch their arms to the healing sun.

I am gradually learning about the flora and fauna here and the medicinal properties of several varieties. 

When I return to Canada in the spring,
it will be time for planting and tending my own plants
and perhaps when that time comes 
I will be given the honour of giving those far away babies 
some honourable mention on the blog.   

The world is filled with wonders if we just pay attention.

from Joan
Home January’s Challenge: BE TIDY

The last day of a month-long tidyness challenge. 

I asked hubby if he had noticed that the house had been tidier over the past month. He said, "Yes!" but he didn't elaborate.  

However,  in reality, I know that there is a lot more tidying up to do. Bit-by-bit will be my motto! 

The best thing I did last month was find an easily accessible home for my camera. I am excited to be able to reach it quickly if there is something in our garden to photograph.  

Garden  RECAPPING
It was a pleasure to re-read the words which I wrote a month ago, in my introduction to the new blog: 


"Our garden is a treasure. 
It holds within it my hope of a greater degree of self-sufficiency; 
It is a place where I can think and not feel pressured -
 it does not even pressure me to tidy it up! 
It is a place where our grand-children play.  
It is the place that constantly amazes me 
with its very own ability for renewal, rebirth and survival. 
It is a place where I never seem to take my worries or concerns, not by any intent - 
I just don't seem to take negativity into the garden. 

Our garden is the living space that is teaching me to stand on my own two feet in a culture where one can easily suffer from depression, ill health and a lack of knowing a Heavenly Father who clothes the grass of the field and who will also feed and clothe us as we learn to trust Him."




During the month of January, our garden has been a source of some of our food as well as being a place of activity, solace and peace. 

I have had the joy of being surrounded by plants which pass on to my soul a degree of their energy and vitality. 

May your garden be as treasure to you
as my garden is to me!

from Robyn                                                                                            


 Robin in a flowering gum
Painted by Brenda, Robyn’s mum