Pages

January 30, 2013

MOON PLANTING


Word for the Day  
Welcoming each new day 
could become part of our routine.


                                                                                 Robyn's photo and poetry! 
Home  January's challenge: BE TIDY

I woke early this morning, not because I was eager to tidy my home - but for another reason. We have 2 extra adults and 2 extra little children in the house for a few days due to local flooding, and I wanted to get up at 5:30 am with the little ones, just to enjoy their amazing energy and vitality. Their mother, Liisa, wonders how her children can rise from their sleep with such enthusiasm!  Because of the early rise, I got to enjoy the bird-life in the garden, the freshness of dew on the plants, and the clear blue sky - a welcome change after Cyclone Oswald spent its fury on Queensland before moving out to sea.  

I found my camera easily, in its new place. I eventually decided to keep my camera and accessories in a lovely basket which sits on the kitchen dresser.  With camera in hand, I became more aware of the beauty around me, and even noticed a  full moon smiling at me in the morning light. I managed to photograph it with a bird - possibly a magpie - in view. 

What very small "be tidy" job can I do today? The garden took a bit of a battering from wind and rain, so some raking up and cleaning outside pots and bits and bobs will keep me busy for half an hour.  Then I want to play with the little children! 
  
Garden   MOON PLANTING

I looked up "Traditional Moon Planting" on the internet, and discovered that right now is :  FULL MOON PHASE – the best time to sow or plant out root crops and all fruiting and decorative perennials. Also sow lawns or lay turf, harvest for storage, take cuttings, divide plants, prune dormant plants and apply solid fertilisers. Mow lawns to slow growth. (INFO FROM AUSSIEORGANICGARDENING)
  
click on this link for more info about moon planting.    http://aussieorganicgardening.com/?p=32  
We have some grass seed that hubby has not used, and I have a bare patch of earth near the vege garden, so with the soil wet from the cyclone, and with the moon shining it's morning light on my gardening effort, I will be outside, planting some grass seed, doing what my "moon planting guide" suggests. 

But on the way, I will stop and smile at two gnomes who hide behind some garden plants. I brought these gnomes home from my mother's garden when  she went into a nursing home last year, and I will be thinking of my mum as I plant grass seed, as right now, she is on the operating table, receiving a pacemaker to help her heart along. 


    

Wouldn't it be good if more of us rise early in the morning and enjoy our world in its freshness! 

from Robyn                                                                                            


 Robin in a flowering gum
Painted by Brenda, Robyn’s mum
P.S. I have just heard from my older sister who is faithfully keeping by Mum's side, that our mum is doing well!  Good job, Mum.