Pages

January 24, 2013

JAPANESE MENTHOL MINT

Thought for the Day Having a hobby or collection
No matter what our age, 
if we have a current hobby or collection
we have a good chance of "staying young".
Robyn
 
Home January’s Challenge: BE TIDY
Photo frames!  Some of us collect certain things for an endeavour to be tackled sometime in the future, not knowing even how many years it might be before that certain endeavour is approached. I have one such task.  I have a collection of picture frames because one day I hope to present a photographic display of some of the lovely photographs that hubby and I are privileged to make. At this stage, I don't really know what size photos I hope to present, or what type of frames I would use....  but still, I buy second hand frames whenever one catches my eye.  Even the famous Australian painter, Sir Hans Hysen, bought paintings in beautiful frames, but not for the paintings themselves - they were for his frame collection for displaying his own paintings in! 

And so, today is my day to tidy up my collection of odd picture frames.    


 Garden   JAPENESE MENTHOL MINT Mentha arcensis x piperascens

In the garden, there are several pots, each with a different species of mint, so I guess I could call this my "mint collection"! The many species of mint share a common characteristic - the ability to release a menthol scent when bruised. My favourite mint, after tasting several varieties, has to be the common mint that my mother grew and used in her home-made mint sauce. But the mint (out of those I have tasted) with the most stunning taste is Japanese Menthol Mint, which after tasting a leaf, you simply exclaim, "Wow!" 

Because mentha species are very prone to hybridization, the seed cannot be relied on to breed true, so it is best to propagate them by division.  Any part of the root is capable of growing into a new plant. 

Japanese mint, like many other members of this genus, is often used as a domestic herbal remedy, being valued especially for its antiseptic properties and its beneficial effect on the digestion. A tea made from the leaves has traditionally been used in the treatment of fevers, headaches, digestive disorders and various minor ailments. The leaves are a classical remedy for stomach cancer. It is said to relieve hay fever symptoms within minutes. The essential oil in the leaves is antiseptic, though can be toxic in large doses.

Culinary Uses: The leaves can be eaten raw or cooked and are used as a flavoring in salads or cooked foods. They have a strong taste of peppermint. A herb tea is made from the fresh or dried leaves. This mint is a source of
Japanese menthol, used to flavor candies, drinks, etc.
An essential oil from the plant is used as a flavouring in
sweets and beverages.
The leaves contain about 0.2% essential oil.
Toxicity: Like other members of the genus, it is bestnot used by pregnant women because large doses can cause an abortion.

Other Uses: The plant is used as an insect repellent. Rats and mice intensely dislike the smell of mint. The plant was therefore used in homes long ago as a strewing herb and has also been spread in granaries to keep the rodents off the grain.
An essential oil is obtained from the plant. It can be used as a substitute for, or adulterant of, peppermint oil. Yields of up to 1.6% have been obtained.

Reference: The Book of Mint, Denise Greig, Kangaroo Press, 1989



Collections
Who has not had a collection of something at sometime?
Cars, doll's house furniture, stamps,
Coins, jewellery, or garden plants.
Each item different, not one quite the same,
Each methodically ordered and recorded
By a logical collector’s brain. 
   

I think that I could truthfully say
that hubby and I
have a collection
of lovely little grand-children
with whom to play!

Wishing you much happiness

as you work at your hobby
or gather your collection. 


from Robyn                                                    




painting of robin by Brenda, my mum