Pages

February 1, 2013

OKRA (LUFFA)

Word for the Day  A fire to warm me
                                                                                                                                 photo & words by Robyn
Introduction to February's Theme   BEING ME

Sometimes I ponder on an awesome occurrence recorded in Exodus chapter 3 in the Old Testament, read by both Jews and Christians. It was the encounter that God had with Moses, or vice versa - an encounter where the LORD spoke to Moses addressing him by his name, calling to him from a burning bush that amazingly was not being consumed…. “Moses! Moses!” Moses then asked the LORD who it was who was calling him, 
and God told Moses what His name was -YHWH (translated “I AM HE WHO IS”, “I AM WHO AM” or “I AM WHO I AM”).  This divine name is a mystery, just as God is a mystery.   




I often think about names. Some of us like our names, others don’t! I like my middle name which is “Robyn”. I once heard someone talking about the robins in England - the ones we traditionally see on our Christmas cards in the European snow.  The person talking commented on the robin’s song, saying that the robins who had missed the winter migration to a warmer climate still sang their song even though they were left behind to endure the bitterness of winter.  That thought has helped me when I have had to work my way through difficult times. I have tried to still sing my song in spite of difficulties.





February’s blog begins with a new theme – Who am I? 
I am sure that each of us are meant to be comfortable with our identity, with an appreciation of our natural gifts, our learned talents, our abilities and capabilities, and our personality. Sometimes we depend on others for our life focus and identity, but I think that it is as we become aware of the truth of who we are, that we become more able to express ourselves fully and find our identity within ourselves.   

It is with the thought of exploring Who I Am that I begin February’s blog. May each of us become more energized and happier in knowing ourselves better and in appreciating those aspects that make us who we are.  

BEING ME   Being a daughter   
What a difference there is between between being a young and carefree child to being a daughter to a mother in a nursing home.  Being responsive is the quality that comes to mind: Did I respond to my mother's tone of voice which tells me how she is feeling; Did I respond by thanking her for the gift she gave me; Did I let her know that I value her; Did we smile together?  


I often read of someone whose parent has died, and they are guilt ridden because they did not feel that they had loved their parent sufficiently.  It is not my intent to carry any regrets for either today or tomorrow!




 Garden    Loofah Luffa cylindrical

Recently I have seen Okra (or loofah) for sale in our local Woolworths supermarket. As I do not have seeds for this plant, I will try buying a luffa, drying some seeds, and growing my own bath sponges!

Loofah which is a member of the cucumber family, grow in the tropics and subtropics. While the younger fruit are eaten as a popular vegetable in China and southeast Asia, the fibrous fully-ripened fruit make good sponges for use in bathrooms or kitchens. 


Luffa Bath Sponges 
Many will recognise the luffa as something used to scrub your back in the bath. Some people confuse luffas with a marine animal, the sponge, but a luffa is a terrestrial member of the cucumber family. Luffa aegyptiaca,or the smooth luffa is also called the dishcloth gourd in Asia because they are used for scrubbing pots.

Luffas are grown as an edible vegetable. When they're the size of a zucchini, cook and eat them as you would a zucchiniLuffas are used in Chinese medicine to treat rheumatic pain. It is believed they come from India, but they've been grown so widely and for so long it's hard to tell. In the bath or shower, a luffa is good for scrubbing the skin. Its gentle action means it's ideal for people with eczema or psoriasis.

Luffas are best grown as a summer annual. In the wet tropics they grow vigorously, but in Tasmania for best results grow them in a glass house. Sow the seed in spring after all chances of frost have passed and give them a moist, fertile, freely draining soil, full sun and a sturdy support for their tendrils. When the vines have reached the top of their support, pinch out the tip and weave any side shoots into the frame. Unlike many other members of the cucumber family, luffas rarely get powdery mildew. Make young fruits into pickles as you would gherkins.

Pick mature fruit regularly to encourage further cropping. After a few weeks, they dry out, but the seed is inside. This is the time to collect the seed for next year's crop. To prepare the luffa, break off the stem, and the outer skin comes away quickly. If you don't like the natural colour, soak it in hydrogen peroxide or household bleach. It will be as good as the ones you get from the shop.

The lovely bright flowers open in the morning to attract honey bees, blue-banded bees and carpenter bees into the garden. If you've got an unsightly shed or a bare fence, you might like to grow luffas as a productive screen. They're best grown on a pergola so the fruits hang down. http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1599776.htm


Busy bees find big yellow flowers
And buzz around fine tendrils
As trellis reaches high.
They do their job to fertilize
Tomorrow's dinner gourds
And next year's kitchen cloths!
Robyn

May we each be creative in finding ways to use our plants.

Robyn                                                                                         

 Robin in a flowering gum
Painted by Brenda, Robyn’s mum