Pages

February 4, 2013

SENSITIVE PLANT

Word for the Day  Depression

Depression dulls 
one's sensitivity 
towards their partner's thoughts and feelings 

Click on the links below for info regarding depression.
It is very difficult to be a caring and loving partner when one is depressed.
Recently I was quite depressed. The doctor, however, did not treat me with anti-depressants - after my condition was diagnosed correctly from a blood test, it was actually thyroid treatment which was needed.
On the right treatment for me, the depression left, thankfully.   

http://psychcentral.com/news/2011/03/31/depression-dulls-sensitivity-to-partners-thoughts-feelings/24857.html

http://depression.about.com/cs/altmedsjw/ht/Naturally.htm

BEING ME   Being a wife
Being loving comes to mind when I consider one's role as a wife.  Where I live, the basis of a marriage is usually love. And that is why I think our marriages can be difficult at times.... because "love", while it is something we receive, is also a sacrificial quality.  

My thoughts today about "love" (while tomorrow my thoughts might take a different tangent), are in line with wanting the best for the person whom one loves.   


I still remember after about 7 years of very happy marriage, an illogical thought came "out of the blue" - Did I actually love my husband?  My problem was that I did not have a hook to hang my understanding of love on, like one hangs their clothes on something, and I was probably thinking of love as a "feeling".  Then I read in the bible that love is patient, kind, not envious, not boastful, not proud, not rude or self-seeking, and not easily angered;  that it does not keep a record of wrongs, it does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth, and that it always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres.   http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+13%3A4-7&version=NIV   


After reading those words, and knowing that I could put a tiny "tick" to at least some of those qualities, I decided that indeed I did love my husband. Once I could perceive my love with tangible ideas,  I didn't have any more trouble with that illogical thought!  

One day in Toowoomba, I came across an artist who was also a model railway enthusiast. He had built the most amazing model railway I had ever seen, even with a fish tank in it, so that one could watch the gold fish behind perspex while waiting for a train to come through a tunnel.  I asked him if he would make a layout for an N gauge train as a surprise gift for the hubby I loved. 
  






Was Moses married?

Moses fled from Egypt to the land of Midian to escape Pharaoh, for Moses had killed an Egyptian who was beating an Israelite.  He married Zipporah, one of the seven daughters of Reuel, the Priest of Midian. Reuel means "Friend of God". Bible scholars believe that Reuel was a son of Abraham, born to one of Abraham's concubines. Hence, Moses' wife was a close relative to the Israelites.





Garden   SENSITIVE PLANT Mimosa, Bashful Plant, Pua-hilahila   Mimosa Pudica  F. Mimosaceae

My friends and I love my pots of thriving Sensitive Plants grown from seed from a mother plant which I bought at Isabell Shipard's Herb Farm at Nambour.  The plants almost seem to be alive, folding their leaflets up to go to sleep whenever you touch them, even when you touch them gently.  My friends cannot bear to eat the flowers or pour boiling water on the leaves to make tea - they think of these tender plants as babies!  But I will be off now to make my very first cup of Sensitive Plant Tea.  I have to tell you that I am approaching that task feeling as though I am a bully, tearing leaves from this unique plant. 

I think I will have a glass of water instead!




Constituents: amino acid mimosine, tannin

Actions:sedative, calminative, anti-inflammatory, diuretic

Description
*Perennial legume to 50 cm, slender, branching red stems bear small, sharp, curved thorns; leaves form in pairs as fern-like, oblong leaflets. Lilac pink fluffy, pom-pom flowers 1 cm diameter give the bush a dainty appearance. Small, brown pods hold several round flat seeds.
 *Touching the plant makes the leaflets instantly close up. If the touching is boisterous, the stems will collapse at the axial node and will lie limp for 10 mins or longer. Windy weather and excess noise will close the plant. Plants close up to sleep at night.
*Propagation by seed or cuttings.
*Plant in a sunny position; best in a large pot as it can root along the ground and spread rampantly.
Plants thrive in high rainfall areas of the tropics but will adapt to warm temperate climates.

Medicinal Uses
*In Hawaii, Mimosa (sensitive plant) has a long history of use as a powerful healer of the central nervous system, comprising the brain and spinal cord which affect all the nerves that branch to every part of the body.
*Use flowers for brain clarity,  leaves for central nervous system disorders, and the stem and roots for the digestive system, intestines, for fluid retention and to stimulate the kidneys.
*Leaf tea reduces stress symptoms, lowers high blood pressure, gives restful sleep, relief from shingles, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease and other ailments that affect the nervous system.
Leaf tea recipe:
*16-20 fresh leaflets or 2 teasp. dried herb 
*Steep in 2 ½ cups boiling water or slowly simmer for 20 mins. 
*Drink 1 cup in morning & 1 cup towards evening.






*Grey hair may return to original colour as the nervous system strengthens.

Culinary Uses
Make leaf tea
*Make a leaf essence(for mental and nervous stress & people who are easily upset).
*Use flowers as a garnish; eat the flowers.

Notes from Isabel Shippard's book "How Can I Use Herbs in my Daily Life".  Thank you Isabel for your research!



May we be grateful for the healing properties of many of our garden herbs. 


from Robyn                                                                                         



 Robin in a flowering gum
Painted by Brenda, Robyn’s mum