Pages

February 21, 2013

PUMPKIN


Word for the Day  Trying out something unique





BEING ME  What do I wear?
I live in the sub-tropics near the beach, so I don't need too many fancy clothes or shoes. But the fact remains that I actually do have a lot of clothes and more pairs of shoes than I need!  

What did Moses wear?

I imagine that when Moses spent the 40 years on the exodus in the Sinai desert, that he dressed much as he would have when he was a shepherd rather than in the clothes he would have worn when he was a younger man growing up as the adopted son of the Pharoah, in the Pharoah's court.  The amazing thing about his clothes, and the clothes and shoes of all of the Hebrew people was that they did not wear out in all of those 40 years of travelling through the wilderness.  God was most certainly an amazing God of Miracles, and today, He is still the same God, for He does not change!


During the forty years that I led you through the desert, your clothes did not wear out, nor did the sandals on your feet...I did this so that you might know that I am the LORD your God. Deuteronomy 29:5.

So, the Hebrews were never obliged to wear tattered worn garments, and their feet that walked the hot, stony desert sands for 40 years were not injured through lack of sandals. The Hebrew people probably brought extra clothing with them when they left Egypt as slaves; and they may have manufactured clothing from the fleeces of their sheep when in the wilderness; and also, neighbouring nations or travelling Arabs may have traded with them. 
But the fact remains, that God was their provider. 


Garden   Pumpkin
Pumpkin do not readily set in our tropical garden, so I settle for the shop pumpkins which I steam, roast, barbecue, grate in salads, and  puree for using in soups, breads, muffins, pies and sweet or savoury dishes. 

I have also started using
the tip growth of the pumpkin plants, both raw and cooked;

the thick stems (after stringing them like one strings beans)  finely sliced in stir fries, lightly steamed, or raw when they give a sweet and tasty crunch! 

the larger leaves cut up finely and added to stir-fry or soup. 

the nutty seeds eaten raw or dried. I have sun-dried some seeds to grind in my electric mill, but they can be boiled, toasted and sun-dried;

 *and my favourite: the flowersrich in protein and iron, eaten raw in salads, or fried in sesame oil or vegetable oil after dipping in  tempura batter. 
The flowers in the above photo have long stems and are therefore male flowers. Hence, if they are picked to eat, one has not prevented a potential pumpkin fruit from growing.  
If your female flowers are not being readily pollinated by insects, click on the link below for some useful information. 
http://www.pumpkinnook.com/howto/pollen.htm

Tonight's absolutely delicious entre was
pumpkin flowers (picked at nightfall, when the flowers were curled up) 
and the tendrils with young leaves attached!  
They were dipped in tempura batter and fried -  amazingly tasty and crunchy! 

Tempura batter is made just before using, with 1 egg, 1 cup ice-cold water and 1 cup plain flour,  mixed (but not over-mixed) in a bowl.  

Dip flowers and leaves in the batter, shake off excess, and fry in a small amount of oil (I like sesami oil), turning once, and serving immediately seasoned with sea-salt.

Flavours sweet and colours gold
in pumpkin scones, risotto, soup. 

 But I've been told
that I can eat
the seeds and leaves, tendrils  and skin.
 
I don't need to throw them in the bin! 




May we be willing to try eating our veges in unique ways

from Robyn                                                                                         



 Robin in a flowering gum
painted by Brenda, Robyn’s mum