Pages

April 26, 2013

COAST-TO-COAST WALK Day 18

Who is God?God is the one whjudges
The wicked will not stand in the judgement, nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.
Psalm 1:5-6 
Our New Home Survival of transported plants!
We brought many plants from our previous home on the Sunshine Coast to our new home in Toowoomba. 
                                        In fact, we brought 2 trailer loads of plants! 
Leaf ginseng now growing in Toowoomba's red soil 

Some of the plants died as I was too tired to look after them properly during the first week of moving, but I am happy to say that some of the treasures which I wrote about in earlier blogs, discussing their medicinal and culinary uses, are happily thriving, just loving their new environment - especially the comfrey. One day we will get chickens for their eggs, and they will enjoy fresh comfrey leaves for their lunch!
Sweet fruit root (yacun) survived the move
The Great OutdoorsMemories of England's Coast-to-Coast Walk
Day 18     Robin Hood’s Bay - London Tuesday, 26th July 2005 
Here is the last entry from hubby's daily diary  on our long hike.....
We had a good, warm night’s sleep and woke about 5.00 a.m. when it started to get light.  Still overcast and cool.  We had finished our hike!!

Breakfast at 8.30 in The Wayfarer’s café, and what a feast – kippers for Denise, and full English breakfast for Jonathan and I.   We tidied and packed then left St. Bees on the 93 bus for Scarborough. It was a great coach. The journey took 40 minutes.

We parked ourselves in the waiting room at Scarborough Railway Station to wait for our train.  It was 11.00 a.m.  While waiting, Denise and I went for a walk through Scarborough while Jonathan minded our bags at the railway station.

Then back to the Scarborough Railway Station where we enjoyed eating our lunch while sitting on the longest seat in the world, according to the Guiness Book of Records.

We saw the Flying Scotsman pulling in with a long, packed train.  It then reversed out and pulled back in, half an hour later.  We photographed the engine and Denise talked to the fireman who invited us in to the driver’s cab of the Flying Scotsman!

Denise chatted to the driver of the train who is the “actor” in the Harry Potter movies, driving a red loco in the movie.  The driver, Bill Andrew, was very kind and offered to post some Harry Potter photos for Timothy, Denise’s nephew in California. He posted these a month or so later – one of them an autographed photo of Rupert Grin, Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Walton, to be treasured by Timothy. Wow! 

We boarded the train a couple of hours early to get out of the cold – but it wasn’t leaving till 3.00 p.m. 
The one hour train journey to York was fast and smooth. We spent most of the time with our heads out of the window enjoying the speed – 60 mph. 

We pulled into York railway station and during the time we waited in York, Jonathan and I did a flying half hour visit to the York Railway Museum while Denise minded our bags.  Then we boarded the 17.35 train for King’s Cross, a 2 hour enjoyable and comfortable trip.  Then we bought tube tickets for ₤1 each from a young Hong Konger, selling off her family day-pass a little cheaper to any passer-by who would give her some money for it.  We arrived at Finchley Road just in time to buy some food at Waitrose before they shut at 10.00 p.m.  Audrey and Patrick, our hosts in Greencroft Gardens, London, were expecting us, and welcomed their late guests with a cup of tea and some cake which Audrey had kindly baked that day for our arrival.  Thank you, Audrey.   


 Denise Robyn's Memories of England's Coast-to-Coast Walk-
8 years after the walk
I still remember with a sense of achievement those determined days of hiking and camping as I crossed England, west to east, with hubby and Son-Number 3.  

I had been the one to pack all of those little things we might need like safety pins, mending kit, first aid, string for a clothes line, a camping stove, eating and cooking utensils etc. At the end of the hike, I was very pleased that I had packed everything that we needed on our journey.

My best memories were:
*Meeting and talking with a gypsie
*Perhaps seeing the author of "Wind in My Wheels" - the book which had inspired me to go on an adventure
*Food treats when we occasionally passed through a town with a shop
*Having a bar of scented soap and soaping-up my sore feet on many occasions
*Being able to share a challenge with my hubby and our youngest son
*Having the privilege of hiking through some amazing countryside
*Taking photos (apologies for the poor photos in this blog - that's because we lost them when our computer crashed! and these photos were from a little book I made, thankfully!)
*Our hiking sox were snug, and a real treat just to put them on! 
*Music on my ipod was fantastic - it helped to keep me going through the afternoons
*My carriers - Jonathan and David - who took my rucksack when I was tired - were very much appreciated!  Thankyou, Jonathan and David!


Would I do it again?   Yes, but I would have to consider some changes like: 

Not carrying  so much, but really, I don't know what I could leave behind!  

Perhaps next time I should go to B&Bs, and have a "carrier bus" to take my gear from post to post each day. But that would not be as much fun for me, as I love being right out there in the out-doors. 

And I would be more pro-active in map reading, and definitely not attempt more than is recommended for one day of hiking. 

I would hike with a greater degree of "safety awareness",  carrying a mobile phone and telling someone where and when we were hiking and keeping in touch with them every couple of days if possible. 

I would train for such a hike by doing some rigorous hiking with walking poles - not by simply doing  "long walks". 

It was a great experience!
May the challenges we meet and the challenges we create make us stronger people for our tomorrows

from Robyn

painting of robin by Brenda, Robyn's mum