Pages

March 4, 2013

WANDERING JEW & head net plus repellent

Word for the Day     Demonstrating wisdom



Self-sufficiency can be enhanced by knowing which plants and produce 
have survival food potential. 
Such plants should meet 1 or more of the following criteria:

1. Plants that have proved hardy and adapt to a range of soild and low rainfall. 

2. Plants that can be harvested at any time of the year, or have a long cropping period. 

3. Produce that have a long shelf life when picked.

4. Produce that has potential for storing for later use, or can be dried or used in some other form.

5. Plants that are little known as a food source and are unusual… if times get tough, and jobs and food are scarce, then food will be a high price in the shops… our gardens may be raided and food stolen… so… grow some obscure food supply.


Home March's challenge is to pack one item each day in a Survival Bag, in order to be prepared for an emergency.  
Pack a mosquito head net & insect repellent! 



In my Survival Bag, I have already packed 
1. my emergency foil blanket, plus silk sheet-bag and a sleeping bag. 

Today's items are a mosquito head net ($2 from Cheap as Chips) and a tube of aloe vera to hopefully protect me from those nasty mosquitoes which have the potential of carrying disease.  If there was a night-time emergency, and I had to sleep in the open, then I would be as snug as a bug-in-a-rug with my head net and aloe vera protecting me and my sleeping bag plus "foil coil" keeping me warm! 


    • BETTER STILL, I COULD MAKE MY OWN INSECT REPELLENT
      I have adapted the recipe from the following link: http://www.ehow.com/how_6759327_keep-flying-insects-away.html
       Stir together the following ingredients and then dab on skin and clothing 
      *25 drops of essential oil   rose geranium oil to repel ticks
                                                     lavender, lemon balm (citronella) or thyme to repel mosquitoes
                                                     eucalyptus or peppermint to repel flies  
      *2 tablespoons oil (Nut oils are good "carrier" oils. I have used coconut oil as the carrier oil in my insect repellent, but if I was in a cold area, the coconut oil would solidify, so I would use olive oil or macadamia oil.) 
      *1 tablespoon aloe vera gel 
      Garden  AUSTRALIAN NATIVE WANDERING JEW 
      I have just cooked some absolutely delicious gluten-free fritters, fried in a little  olive oil in our stainless steel frypan...   
Fritter Recipe: *corn cut from a cob; *a tablespoon of soy compound; *a desertspoon powdered milk; *a handful of chopped up wandering jew leaves; *mixed herbs; *all bound together with a small beaten egg. 

Commelina diffusa (Australian Wandering Jew or Scurvy Weed) is a sprawling fleshy herb bearing small irrodescent blue flowers. The flowers have three petals and three yellow stamens.  It is native to Australia, Asia and tropical Polynesia.  In Australia, it can be found in a wide range of habitats from the rainforests to the wooded grasslands. 

Wandering Jew meanders happily through our garden, 

and I weed it to keep it under control, not having

easily eradicated it.  So I might as well acknowledge it 

as a "herb" and learn how I can use it!

The juice of Wandering Jew has been used to cure wounds, and in Hawaii, it

 is used to aid the healing of deep, more troubling cuts. 

It is used for inflamed eyes, as part of an external remedy for bone fracture 

and as a digestive aid.

In New Guinea, the young leaf tips are cooked and eaten.

Women in the Torres Strait area rub their hair with it.

Within China it is used as a medicinal herb with febrifugal and diuretic 

properties.

dye is also obtained from the juice of the blue petals for use in painting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commelina diffusa


As we surf through oceans of internet knowledge,
may we ride the waves in wonder

from Robyn

painting of robin by Brenda, my mum