Pages

March 28, 2013

SEA PARSLEY extras & sentimental things


Word for the Day  The face of the sea

The face of the sea
changes with the mood of the wind
Just as our faces respond
To our environment.
Robyn 

Home March's challenge is to pack one item each day in a Survival Bag, in order to be prepared for an emergency.  
In my Survival Bag, I have already packed 
1. my emergency foil blanket, plus silk sheet-bag and a sleeping bag. 
2. a mosquito head net and a tube aloe vera
3. my clothing
4. my food and my drink bottles
5. my first aid kit
6. eating and cooking utensils
7. my Tommy Cooker Hexi Stove and fuel tablets
8. Windproof and Waterproof Matches (or a fire flint or cigarette lighter)
9. my torches
10. my washbag 
11. soap for washing dishes and clothes
12. whistle & glowstick 
13. camera, MP3player and mobile phone
14. printed Important Information
15. money and bankcard
16. comfrey cream, sunscreen and essential oils
17. watercrystal neck scarf


Today I will pack those "extras" still wanting to go into the survival bag, along with a few "sentimental items". 
extras
*my name and phone number on my Survival Bag
*a note reminding me that I will need to fill the 
 water bottles and get any medications/vitamins
*pocket-size New Testament 
*screw-driver set 
*pocket knife 
*vegetable peeler 
*extra bootlaces (with many uses) 
*3 large safety pins 





sentimental items

Here are the few "sentimental items" which I would like in my survival bag -
a teddy from hubby, pictures of my immediate family, along with pictures of my mum and sisters, a tiny robin painting from my mum, a locket from Stephanie with photos of our boys whom we both pray for, a pink jade stone reminding me of Trisha, and a card from Mandy - all because I am a "tactile" person who likes to be frequently grateful for those who have blessed me greatly in my life!


What about extra items for that 7 month European adventure?


Hubby and I will be off to Europe in September, so I look forward to taking my readers on that journey later in the year. 

For Europe, I would also want some extra clothes including water-proof trousers,  a "good" dress, a handbag and pair of high heeled shoes, & a warm cardigan, my rainproof parker,  a sewing kit, a small pillow, passport, some British and Swiss money, pen & pencil plus important information on a sheet of paper inside the passport, a travel belt, tent, tentpegs, groundsheet, blow-up mattress, pot-scrubber and an extra cooking pot. 

















My Survival Bag is very full!  But then, I wasn't a Girl Guide for nothing, with our motto "Be Prepared"!  

And anyway, I have now pretty much packed my bag for an August one month trip to visit my mum in South Australia, to be followed by a  7 month adventure in Europe.  So I can fill the next 4 months with exploring the new locality that hubby and I are moving to, plus setting up our new home, and saying hello to my readers far and wide.   Thank you to my readers for sharing these days and months with me!

Garden Sea Parsley Australian Bush Tucker
sea parsleySea Parsley, or Sea Celery, grows all along the southern coastline of Australia. Its leaf form and plant dimensions vary quite considerably from place to place, but most commonly it has an appearance of shiny dark green parsley, and is in fact closely related to European parsley.The significant difference is that it grows right on the coastline, often submerged by the incoming storm tides. It is the connection to the seafront, where it grows in composted sea weed and sand, that gives it its special flavour. Sea Parsley/Celery grows in a prostrate manner over rocky ledges and sandy ridges, and its small white flower clusters give rise to large amounts of seed in the summer months.
Although an annual, Sea Parsley has a resilient tap root like a carrot, which gives it a semi-perennial capacity. It was identified by early Europeans as far back as Captain Cook in 1788, and provided a welcome flavour boost to soup and stews at the time.
Captain Cook made use of this plant to prevent scurvy when “The Endeavour” visited the east coast of Australia in 1770 and it was subsequently used by early settlers as a source of greens.
This herb is useful in soups, dressings, flavoured butter, with seafood and in white sauceshttp://tasteaustralia.biz/bushfood/sea-parsley/


Shiny dark-green parsley of the sea,
You're not a marvel new, 
For you were used by Captain Cook
In his soup and in his stew.


Let's make some interesting soup with some ingredients we've not used before!

from Robyn


painting of robin by Brenda, my mum.