Pages

March 13, 2013

MACADAMIA NUT + torches


Word for the Day It's all in a nutshell

A nutshell contains all the DNA required 
for the continuation of a species. 
Robyn  



Home March's challenge is to pack one item each day in a Survival Bag, in order to be prepared for an emergency.  

In my Survival Bag, I have already packed 
1. my emergency foil blanket, plus silk sheet-bag and a sleeping bag. 
2. a mosquito head net and a tube aloe vera
3. my clothing
4. my food and my drink bottles
5. my first aid kit
6. eating and cooking utensils
7. my Tommy Cooker Hexi Stove and fuel tablets
8. Windproof and Waterproof Matches (or a fire flint/cigarette lighter)

Today I will pack my torches
I have a tiny solar-powered torch, 
(it is so tiny, that I cannot find it!)
but just in case it has not been charged as sometimes happens when it has been kept away from the sun, I also carry a second torch. 


This is my second torch.
I will keep it on a cord with my whistle to wear around my neck. 



Garden Macademia Nut Australian Bush Tucker
Macadamia kernel is rich in macadamia oil 
which contains high levels of the nutritionally important monounsaturated fatty acids. 
Macadamia oil has higher levels of monounsaturated fats than any other oil, including both olive and canola oil. 
Macadamia nuts contain no cholesterol.


Nature's vitamin pill, the macadamia kernel contains Vitamins A, B1, B2, Niacin and essential elements such as Calcium, Iron, Phosphorous, Magnesium and Potassium. Medical research indicates that the consumption of macadamias lowers the risk of heart disease.


Buy oil in a glass bottle as plastic containers can leach harmful substances out of the plastic. Store in a cool, dark location. When exposed to heat, light and air, the valuable nutrients in oil begin to oxidize. Consume within 2 years of pressing as flavours and nutrients degarde.  



Our tiny Macadamia Tree comes from a seed which I picked up from the ground in Brisbane's Botanic Gardens. I took it home and planted it in a pot!   

Several times a year, hubby and I love to browse through the Botanic Gardens by the Brisbane River. This beautiful patch of land which once featured a fresh water spring, was originally the vegetable garden tended by convicts during the early days of settlement by the British colonists. 

The one big Macadamia Tree hidden in an area of rainforest in the City Botanic Gardens, I believe is the very tree that has been the source of Queensland's thriving macadamia industry.   


Click on the following link for Macademia Recipes
                                                 http://www.suncoastgold.com.au/recipes


Nutritional value of raw macadamia kernel per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy3,080 kJ (740 kcal)
Carbohydrates13.8 g
Sugars4.57 g
Dietary fiber8.6 g
Fat75.8 g
*Saturated fat: 12 g
*Monounsaturated fat: 59 g
*Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5 g
Protein7.9 g
Vitamin B60 mg (0%)
Vitamin C0 mg (0%)
Vitamin E4 mg (27%)
Calcium64 mg (6%)
Iron2 mg (15%)
Magnesium0 mg (0%)
Phosphorus241 mg (34%)
Potassium410 mg (9%)
Zinc0 mg (0%)

Macadamias are toxic to dogs


my macadamia tree
 A round brown nut
Became a tiny tree
That will grow
To provide more nuts for me!
Robyn

May we benefit from the produce of nut trees

from Robyn


 painting of robin by Brenda, my mum.